Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter Trees?

I hate useless things, don't you? Well I guess I really don't hate them for my whole house is full of them and I wouldn't part with them for the world. But I like to have them used as much as possible. For instance several years ago I bought a small artificial pine tree, which I put in my hall and decorated it for every holiday to make my home a festive and warm place to be. After a few years I got tired of decorating that stupid tree all the time so I didn't do anything to it for a long time. The tree now has a few inches of dust on it(have you ever tried to clean one of those things) and the pretty white lights I had put on to make it shine and glow , have long since died. It's little artificial branches droop downward as if to say "I'm no longer wanted". Not that I care what those branches want, they scratch the fire out of me when I do try to put something on them anyway. Back to the story, I had purchased different decorations for the different holidays, and after each holiday those particular decorations would be put away upstairs until the next time they were needed. I was upstairs looking for something for some of the decorations I was fixing for the church when I spied my box , no two boxes of Easter decorations. Even though Easter is only two days away I decided I needed to put those things to use.
I had a large bag of those plastic colored eggs, that I had put yarn inside of and then snapped them shut so they could be hung on a tree branch. So grabbing my bag of eggs I headed outdoors to decorate the little tree that Tom had planted out back.It was a fairly warm day today and the sun was shining like all get out. I began putting the eggs on the tree, but the one constant in northern Ohio is the wind. Those little eggs were having a high ole time once they were released on their branches. Also, the little tree seemed to have grown quite a bit since the last time I put eggs on it. I had to stretch on my toes to grab the top branches, then pull the branch down and try to get an egg over it before it slipped out of my hand and spring back into position.( It did this a couple of times and once it flung the egg so hard it wrapped the string tight around the branch and the poor egg was sticking straight up in the air, forcing me to stretch and grab the branch again get it loose so it could hang free, like all the other eggs)The little tree looked like it was starting to form buds, so I was trying to be careful and not tear them off as I was hanging the eggs on the branches, but if there are no leaves or flowers this year we will all know the reason why.The little tree also scratched the dickens out of my arms too. And I thought the house tree was bad.
Back inside, I went to work on the house tree. Since it is small, I had it all spruced up in no time, and I didn't think it was very bad on the scratching after the outside tree. I had made a Easter Bunny Angel, which is a bunny with wings that can be taken off.( I guess that 's like a punishment thing, you know if it's bad you can take it's wings away, you probably won't get this but I know what it means). It's about the size of a small baby doll. I made it a red frilly dress with ruffles on it and a pinafore over it. Then I crocheted a bunny and her dress with a little purse to go with it. They are sitting in the floor in front of the T. V. Two purple bunny's sit in front of the end tables. One wears a little hat and can be lifted up at his middle and can be a Easter Basket.(A good friend bought this for Adam when he was little). Then I have 14 or 15 ceramic bunny's of different sizes and shapes. I placed these on the mantle and top of the T.V. stand.One of them is a little bunny dressed in pink pajamas that Becky bought me. It's so cute! Always reminds me of Adam when he was a baby.
When I placed one more ceramic bunny on the table, my useless things were all in use again. Looking at all of them placed around, you can tell something special is about to happen.All these things revive memories that are fun to remember and the anticipation of new memories to store away for the future.
I guess things like Easter trees and Easter Bunny angels are only useless for part of the year. When it's Easter time they have found their place in the world and are as useful as can be.Like the Bible says ," there is a time for all things", and nothing wants to be useless forever, even an Easter Tree.
Happy Easter Everyone!

1 comment: