Saturday, October 30, 2010

Trick or Treat

Yesterday, Heather and I were talking about the Halloweens we've shared. When she and Becky were in grade school, they allowed the kids to dress up in their costumes and have a fun day at school.
The year she was in 3rd or 4th grade, I made her a "Woodsy the Owl" costume. I was very proud of it.I had spent a lot of time creating the thing. It was like a long brown pillow case that came down to the calves of her legs. I had made little "owl" ears and sewed them on the side and painted large yellow circles for eyes, and cut out the centers , so she could see.
The thing I was so proud of, was I cut out lots of little feathers out of brown felt and sewed them all around the sack in rows and then layers that over lapped each other so it really looked like the body of an Owl.
When she wore it trick or treating she didn't have too much trouble. But when she wore it to school the next day, Problems developed.
For you see, I didn't cut out a mouth. She said she had a very hard time talking all day and for lunch she had to pull it up over her head to eat. I guess when she tried to talk the material would get wet and make it very uncomfortable. She may have said she even got chapped lips from the wet material. hahaha
Then I remembered the year I made Becky a pumpkin. It turned out good and she looked so cute in it. The only problem was, I had it pulled up at the bottom to make it look round like a pumpkin, and when she tried to walk, she had to take very tiny little steps. It became a difficult situation for her when I tried to make her get in the car to take them to different places to trick or treat. she had a horrible time climbing in and out of the car. Heather could run up to the house, get her treat and pass Becky on the way back, because Becky had to walk so slow. Oh what fun I made for my kids. I'm sure they loved me for it.
Great memories girls. Great memories. Thanks for making them for me.
Love you both , bunches and bunches. mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment